What is Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics?Developmental-behavioral pediatricians are pediatricians who have special understanding and training in developmental, behavioral, and learning problems of children from infancy through adolescence. A fairly recent specialty, officially recognized in the early 2000's, developmental-behavioral pediatrics has grown rapidly and seen wide demand along with increased rates of autism spectrum disorders and other developmental and behavioral issues. While a general pediatrician must concern themselves with all kinds of ailments that might affect children, a developmental-behavioral pediatrician is able to focus strictly on those problems that cause developmental delays or problematic behavior. This is still a very wide variety of disorders, but it may include:
- Learning disabilities, such as dyslexia
- Attention and behavior disorders, such as ADHD or oppositional-defiant disorder
- Habit disorders, such as tics and Tourette syndrome
- Regulatory disorders, such as problems with sleeping, eating, or toileting
- Developmental disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, autism, or fetal alcohol syndrome
- Delayed development, such as delayed speech and delayed motor skills
Search for Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics near you.