We found 6 providers with an interest in genetic issues and who accept Humana Platinum HMO near Cleveland, OH.
Dr. A. Kennedy is an endocrinologist. His education and training includes medical school at Queen's University Belfast and residency at Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast. His areas of expertise include the following: diabetes during pregnancy (gestational diabetes), amenorrhea (missed periods), and adrenal cancer. Dr. Kennedy has a 4.5 out of 5 star average patient rating. He takes Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield Bronze, and Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO, as well as other insurance carriers. He has received the distinction of Cleveland Super Doctors. Dr. Kennedy is professionally affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Florida, Hillcrest Hospital, and Marymount Hospital.
Relevant Interests: , Klinefelter Syndrome
All Interests: Amenorrhea, Low Testosterone, Blood Tests, Erectile Dysfunction, Hyperparathyroidism, Hyperthyroidis ... (Read more)
Dr. Nicholas Smedira's area of specialization is cardiothoracic surgery. Dr. Smedira has a 4.5 out of 5 star average patient rating. Areas of expertise for Dr. Smedira include pericarditis, ventricular tachycardia, and atrial fibrillation. He is an in-network provider for Coventry, United Healthcare HSA, United Healthcare HMO, and more. He graduated from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), School of Medicine and then he performed his residency at a hospital affiliated with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He has received the following distinction: Cleveland Super Doctors. Dr. Smedira is professionally affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Main Campus.
Relevant Interests: , Marfan Syndrome
All Interests: Bypass Surgery, Atrial Fibrillation, Mitral Stenosis, Cardiomyopathy, Aortic Stenosis, Beating Heart ... (Read more)
Dr. Atul Mehta is a specialist in adult pulmonology. He works in Cleveland, OH. Patient ratings for Dr. Mehta average 5.0 stars out of 5. Areas of expertise for Dr. Mehta include lung transplant, thoracic outlet syndrome, and malignant mesothelioma. He accepts several insurance carriers, including Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield Bronze, and Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO. He attended Smt. NHL Municipal Medical College and then went on to complete his residency at Easton Hospital and Delaware County Memorial Hospital. Dr. Mehta (or staff) speaks the following languages: Urdu and Hindi. He is affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Main Campus.
Relevant Interests: , Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
All Interests: Beryllium Disease, Bronchitis, Bronchoscopy, Malignant Mesothelioma, Lung Cancer, Cough, Thymoma, As ... (Read more)
Dr. David Barnes is an adult gastroenterology specialist. He is rated highly by his patients. Clinical interests for Dr. Barnes include esophageal varices, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, and hepatitis C. Dr. Barnes is professionally affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Main Campus. He takes Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Coventry, Blue Cross Blue Shield Bronze, and more. After attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Dr. Barnes completed his residency training at UMass Memorial Medical Center. He has received the following distinction: Cleveland Super Doctors.
Relevant Interests: , Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, Wilson's Disease
All Interests: Ascites, Bile Duct Stones, Cirrhosis, Diagnostic Endoscopy, Esophagitis, Gallstones, Esophageal Band ... (Read more)
Dr. Mei Lu's areas of specialization are vascular neurology and neurophysiology; she sees patients in Cleveland, OH. Her average rating from her patients is 4.0 stars out of 5. Her clinical interests include post-polio syndrome (PPS), thoracic outlet syndrome, and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield Bronze, and Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO are among the insurance carriers that Dr. Lu honors. Dr. Lu's education and training includes medical school at Peking University Health Science Center and the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and residency at a hospital affiliated with St. Louis University (SLU). She is professionally affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Main Campus.
Relevant Interests: , Tay-Sachs Disease, Muscular Dystrophy, Fabry Disease
All Interests: Post-Polio Syndrome, Second Opinions, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Dermatomyositis, Spinal AVM, Radiculo ... (Read more)
Dr. Koji Hashimoto is a transplant surgeon in Cleveland, OH. Areas of expertise for Dr. Hashimoto include alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, hepatitis C, and soft tissue sarcoma. Dr. Hashimoto is professionally affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Main Campus. He is an in-network provider for Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield Bronze, Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO, and more. In addition to English, he speaks Japanese.
Relevant Interests: , Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
All Interests: Cirrhosis, Hepatectomy, Extrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma, Hepatocellular Carcinoma, Abdominal Cancer, ... (Read more)
genetics specialists who accept Humana Platinum HMO (85)?
- Single gene disorders, the result of a single mutated gene. Examples include Huntington’s disease, which causes jerky movements, and sickle-cell anemia, where red blood cells have an abnormal, rigid shape.
- Inborn metabolic disorders, which are a specific type of single gene disorder that results in abnormalities in the way the body chemically processes proteins, carbohydrates or fats. Some examples are Urea Cycle Disorder (where ammonia builds up in the body) and Gaucher’s Disease (where fatty substances build up in cells and organs).
- Chromosomal disorders, where gene-carrying chromosomes do not pair up correctly or are missing. Some examples are Klinefelter Syndrome, a sex-chromosome disorder, and Down Syndrome.
- Congenital abnormalities (commonly known as birth defects), which can be caused by genetic abnormalities. They also can happen because of illness or environmental exposure during pregnancy (such as with rubella), or for unknown reasons.
- Other common diseases that have hereditary traits, such diabetes, autism, and some types of cancer.
- Clinical Genetics: This overarching branch of medical genetics deals with the treatment and management of hereditary diseases.
- Biomechanical Genetics: This branch deals with metabolic disorders, such as galactosemia and phenylketonuria.
- Cytogenetics: This specialty deals with chromosomes and their associated diseases, as well as testing their structure and number.
- Molecular Genetics: This specialty focuses on DNA, interpreting DNA sequencing and other tests, and relating DNA information to specific diseases.