We found 5 providers with an interest in genetic issues and who accept Aetna near Lake Forest, IL.
Dr. Karen Mass is a medical specialist in general gynecology. Her areas of expertise include the following: menopause, annual gynecological exam (well woman exam), and uterine prolapse. She is rated 4.0 stars out of 5 by her patients. Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Coventry, and United Healthcare Plans are among the insurance carriers that Dr. Mass honors. After attending the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago for medical school, she completed her residency training at a hospital affiliated with the University of Michigan. Dr. Mass's professional affiliations include Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and NorthShore University HealthSystem. She is open to new patients.
Relevant Interests: , Genetic Issues
All Interests: Menopause, Uterine Prolapse, Postmenopause, Breast Issues, Ovarian Cancer, Laparoscopic Surgery, Ann ... (Read more)
Dr. Edward Kaplan's areas of specialization are adult hematology, adult oncology, and medical oncology; he sees patients in Skokie, IL and Lake Forest, IL. Dr. Kaplan is conversant in Hebrew. These areas are among his clinical interests: lung cancer, genetic issues, and breast cancer. His professional affiliations include Northwestern Medicine and NorthShore University HealthSystem. He graduated from Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine. His medical residency was performed at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Dr. Kaplan is in-network for several insurance carriers, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Humana ChoiceCare Network, and CIGNA Plans. He has an open panel.
Relevant Interests: , Genetic Issues
All Interests: Pancreatic Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Genetic Issues, Lung Cancer, Cancer, Lymphoma, Colorecta ... (Read more)
Dr. Janice Zeid is a pediatric ophthalmologist in Chicago, IL, Northbrook, IL, and Lake Forest, IL. Areas of expertise for Dr. Zeid include strabismus, neurofibromatosis, and glaucoma. Her professional affiliations include Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and NorthShore University HealthSystem. After attending Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Dr. Zeid completed her residency training at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. She is in-network for several insurance carriers, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Coventry, and Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO. She is accepting new patients.
Relevant Interests: , Neurofibromatosis
All Interests: Retinoblastoma, Hemangiomas, Cataract Surgery, Cataracts, Glaucoma, Strabismus, Neurofibromatosis, E ... (Read more)
Dr. Arun Gosain is a specialist in pediatric plastic and reconstructive surgery. He studied medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), David Geffen School of Medicine. Dr. Gosain trained at The University Hospital, Newark, a hospital affiliated with Medical College of Wisconsin, and a hospital affiliated with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) for residency. Areas of expertise for Dr. Gosain include cleft lip and palate, eyelid surgery, and general reconstruction. He is in-network for Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Coventry, Aetna, and more. Dr. Gosain's professional affiliations include Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and Children's Hospital of Chicago Faculty Practice Plan. Unfortunately, he is not accepting new patients at this time.
Relevant Interests: , Down Syndrome, Neurofibromatosis
All Interests: Eyelid Surgery, Moles, Rhinoplasty, Microsurgery, Down Syndrome, Nose Surgery, Pec Implants, Cleft L ... (Read more)
Dr. Nancy Hamming is a pediatric ophthalmology specialist in Gurnee, IL and Lake Forest, IL. She has received a 4.5 out of 5 star rating by her patients. Her clinical interests include strabismus and genetic disorders. Dr. Hamming honors several insurance carriers, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Coventry, and HealthSmart. She attended the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago for medical school and subsequently trained at a hospital affiliated with the University of Illinois for residency. Her professional affiliations include Northwestern Medicine and Vista Health System. Dr. Hamming is accepting new patients.
Relevant Interests: , Genetic Disorders
All Interests: Genetic Disorders, Strabismus, Eye Problems
genetics specialists who accept Aetna (2)?
- Single gene disorders, the result of a single mutated gene. Examples include Huntington’s disease, which causes jerky movements, and sickle-cell anemia, where red blood cells have an abnormal, rigid shape.
- Inborn metabolic disorders, which are a specific type of single gene disorder that results in abnormalities in the way the body chemically processes proteins, carbohydrates or fats. Some examples are Urea Cycle Disorder (where ammonia builds up in the body) and Gaucher’s Disease (where fatty substances build up in cells and organs).
- Chromosomal disorders, where gene-carrying chromosomes do not pair up correctly or are missing. Some examples are Klinefelter Syndrome, a sex-chromosome disorder, and Down Syndrome.
- Congenital abnormalities (commonly known as birth defects), which can be caused by genetic abnormalities. They also can happen because of illness or environmental exposure during pregnancy (such as with rubella), or for unknown reasons.
- Other common diseases that have hereditary traits, such diabetes, autism, and some types of cancer.
- Clinical Genetics: This overarching branch of medical genetics deals with the treatment and management of hereditary diseases.
- Biomechanical Genetics: This branch deals with metabolic disorders, such as galactosemia and phenylketonuria.
- Cytogenetics: This specialty deals with chromosomes and their associated diseases, as well as testing their structure and number.
- Molecular Genetics: This specialty focuses on DNA, interpreting DNA sequencing and other tests, and relating DNA information to specific diseases.