We found 8 genetics specialists who accept EmblemHealth near New Hyde Park, NY.
Dr. Oana Vele is a physician who specializes in molecular genetic pathology. Dr. Vele (or staff) speaks the following foreign languages: Romanian, French, and Russian. Her hospital/clinic affiliations include Huntington Hospital, Plainview Hospital, and Lenox Hill Hospital. She studied medicine at Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy. She is an in-network provider for Amerigroup, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, as well as other insurance carriers. Dr. Vele welcomes new patients.
Dr. Lakshmi Mehta is a medical specialist in genetics. Clinical interests for Dr. Mehta include ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, and deafness. She is affiliated with Mount Sinai Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset. Dr. Mehta honors several insurance carriers, including Child Health Plus, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield. Dr. Mehta is accepting new patients. She graduated from Christian Medical College, Ludhiana. She has received the distinction of New York Super Doctors. Dr. Mehta (or staff) is conversant in Hindi.
Clinical interests: Deafness, Rett Syndrome, Cardiomyopathy, Ovarian Cancer, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Turner Syndrome, ... (Read more)
Dr. David Tegay is a genetics specialist. Amerigroup, POMCO, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield are among the insurance carriers that Dr. Tegay takes. He studied medicine at New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Tegay's residency was performed at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston. He speaks Spanish. He is affiliated with NuHealth.
Dr. Martin Bialer specializes in pediatric genetics. Dr. Bialer's patients gave him an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars. He honors Amerigroup, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, as well as other insurance carriers. He attended medical school at Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine. Dr. Bialer (or staff) speaks Mandarin, Spanish, and German. He is affiliated with Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset. He is accepting new patients.
Dr. Joyce Fox's specialty is pediatric genetics. Dr. Fox accepts Amerigroup, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, as well as other insurance carriers. She graduated from Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Fox (or staff) speaks the following foreign languages: Urdu, Greek, and Ukrainian. Her hospital/clinic affiliations include North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Medical Center. She has an open panel.
Dr. Jordan Laser is a molecular genetic pathologist in New York, NY, New Hyde Park, NY, and Manhasset, NY. Dr. Laser honors Amerigroup, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield, in addition to other insurance carriers. He attended medical school at Tel Aviv University, Sackler Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Laser (or staff) speaks the following foreign languages: Mandarin, Sign Language, and Spanish. His hospital/clinic affiliations include Syosset Hospital, Manhattan Campus of the VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, and Huntington Hospital. Dr. Laser is accepting new patients.
Dr. David Meryash is a pediatric geneticist, developmental pediatrician, and neurodevelopmental disabilities specialist in Lake Success, NY and Smithtown, NY. His average rating from his patients is 5.0 stars out of 5. Amerigroup, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Empire BlueCross BlueShield are among the insurance carriers that Dr. Meryash honors. He attended medical school at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. His hospital/clinic affiliations include North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Medical Center. Dr. Meryash has an open panel.
Dr. Moris Angulo's areas of specialization are genetics and pediatric endocrinology; he sees patients in Mineola, NY. He is in-network for MagnaCare, Child Health Plus, Family Health Plus, and more. He studied medicine at the University of El Salvador Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Angulo (or staff) is conversant in Spanish, French, and Portuguese.
Conditions / Treatments
Medicare Patient Age
Medicare Patient Conditions
Medicare Patient Ethnicity
Medicare Patient Gender
Medicare Patient Insurance Eligibility
Years Since Graduation
- Single gene disorders, the result of a single mutated gene. Examples include Huntington’s disease, which causes jerky movements, and sickle-cell anemia, where red blood cells have an abnormal, rigid shape.
- Inborn metabolic disorders, which are a specific type of single gene disorder that results in abnormalities in the way the body chemically processes proteins, carbohydrates or fats. Some examples are Urea Cycle Disorder (where ammonia builds up in the body) and Gaucher’s Disease (where fatty substances build up in cells and organs).
- Chromosomal disorders, where gene-carrying chromosomes do not pair up correctly or are missing. Some examples are Klinefelter Syndrome, a sex-chromosome disorder, and Down Syndrome.
- Congenital abnormalities (commonly known as birth defects), which can be caused by genetic abnormalities. They also can happen because of illness or environmental exposure during pregnancy (such as with rubella), or for unknown reasons.
- Other common diseases that have hereditary traits, such diabetes, autism, and some types of cancer.
- Clinical Genetics: This overarching branch of medical genetics deals with the treatment and management of hereditary diseases.
- Biomechanical Genetics: This branch deals with metabolic disorders, such as galactosemia and phenylketonuria.
- Cytogenetics: This specialty deals with chromosomes and their associated diseases, as well as testing their structure and number.
- Molecular Genetics: This specialty focuses on DNA, interpreting DNA sequencing and other tests, and relating DNA information to specific diseases.