We found 0 perinatologists who accept Medicare near Andover, MA.
What is Maternal and Fetal Medicine? Maternal and fetal medicine is also sometimes called high-risk obstetrics or perinatology. All of these names refer to the specialty of medicine devoted to caring for pregnant women and their unborn babies during a pregnancy where there are complications. The goal of this specialty is to reduce stress for the mother and to increase the chances of safely delivering a healthy baby. In most cases, pregnancy takes place without any problems. There are a few cases, however, where health problems require extra monitoring, testing, and more training than a regular ob/gyn might have. These specialized ob/gyns are perinatologists. There are many different issues that might cause a patient to be referred to a maternal and fetal medicine specialist. Some of the issues include:
- Advanced maternal age (over 35)
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Premature rupture of membranes, or “water breaking” too early
- Congenital disorders that may impact birth
- Multiples (twins, triplets, or higher)
- Health issues in the mother, including chronic illness (diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, etc.) and infectious disease (hepatitis, HIV)