We found 10 urologists who accept Empire BlueCross BlueShield near Stamford, CT.
Dr. Paul Zelkovic's medical specialty is pediatric urology. He accepts Amerigroup, POMCO, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and more. Dr. Zelkovic attended Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Medical College for medical school and subsequently trained at the University Hospitals, Cleveland for residency. In addition to English, he speaks Spanish. He is affiliated with Westchester Medical Center, Maimonides Medical Center, and Putnam Hospital Center. Dr. Zelkovic welcomes new patients.
Clinical interests: Urologic Disorders, Reconstructive Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery
Dr. Lori Dyer is a specialist in pediatric urology. Patients gave her an average rating of 2.5 stars out of 5. She takes several insurance carriers, including Anthem, Health Insurance Plan of New York (HIP), and POMCO. Before performing her residency at St. Vincent's Hospital Westchester and Westchester Medical Center, Dr. Dyer attended Albany Medical College for medical school. In addition to English, she speaks Spanish. Dr. Dyer is professionally affiliated with Westchester Medical Center, Putnam Hospital Center, and Nyack Hospital. She is open to new patients.
Clinical interests: Urologic Disorders, Urologic Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery
Dr. Catherine Alonzo is an urology (urinary tract disease) specialist. Dr. Alonzo's clinical interests encompass female urologic disorders, lithotripsy (stone fragmentation), and urinary stones. She has received a 5.0 out of 5 star rating by her patients. She is an in-network provider for several insurance carriers, including Anthem, Health Net, and ConnectiCare. After attending Drexel University College of Medicine for medical school, she completed her residency training at Westchester Medical Center and Nassau University Medical Center. She is conversant in Spanish. Dr. Alonzo is professionally affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. Dr. Alonzo's practice is open to new patients.
Clinical interests: Urinary Stones, Female Urologic Disorders, Lithotripsy
Dr. Michael Nurzia is an urologist. Dr. Nurzia studied medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He completed his residency training at a hospital affiliated with UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. The average patient rating for Dr. Nurzia is 3.0 stars out of 5. Anthem, ConnectiCare, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield are among the insurance carriers that Dr. Nurzia accepts. Dr. Nurzia is affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. He is accepting new patients.
Clinical interests: Robotic Prostatectomy, Laparoscopic Kidney Surgery, Laser Prostate Surgery
Dr. Richard Santarosa practices urology (urinary tract disease). He is affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. Dr. Santarosa attended the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry for medical school and subsequently trained at New York-Presbyterian Hospital for residency. He has a 1.5 out of 5 star average patient rating. He is in-network for several insurance carriers, including Anthem, ConnectiCare, and POMCO. Dr. Santarosa's practice is open to new patients.
Clinical interests: Prostate Problems, Bladder Cancer, Female Incontinence, Ureteroscopy, Brachytherapy, Urinary ... (Read more)
Dr. Nicholas Stroumbakis is an urology (urinary tract disease) specialist. His patients gave him an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars. Dr. Stroumbakis is an in-network provider for several insurance carriers, including MultiPlan, Anthem, and Health Net. After attending Mount Sinai School of Medicine, he completed his residency training at Westchester Medical Center. He speaks Greek. Dr. Stroumbakis is affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. He is accepting new patients.
Clinical interests: Bladder Cancer, Cancer Surgery, Incontinence, Erectile Dysfunction, Prostate Surgery, Kidney ... (Read more)
Dr. Jeffrey Ranta is an urology (urinary tract disease) specialist in Greenwich, CT and New Haven, CT. Patients rated him highly, giving him an average of 4.0 stars out of 5. Dr. Ranta is in-network for Anthem, Health Net, ConnectiCare, and more. Before completing his residency at Lahey Clinic, Dr. Ranta attended medical school at Georgetown University School of Medicine. Dr. Ranta (or staff) speaks the following foreign languages: Greek, Italian, and Portuguese. He is professionally affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. Dr. Ranta is open to new patients.
Clinical interests: Bladder Cancer, Ureteroscopy, Brachytherapy, Incontinence, Erectile Dysfunction, Kidney Stones, ... (Read more)
Dr. William Brown sees patients in Cos Cob, CT, New Haven, CT, and Old Greenwich, CT. His medical specialty is urology (urinary tract disease). He is in-network for Anthem, ConnectiCare, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, in addition to other insurance carriers. He obtained his medical school training at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons and performed his residency at a hospital affiliated with Columbia University. Dr. Brown is professionally affiliated with Yale New Haven Health System. He has an open panel.
Clinical interests: Bladder Cancer, Urinary Incontinence, Circumcision, Erectile Dysfunction, Kidney Stones, Vasectomy, ... (Read more)
Dr. Ronnie Fine is a medical specialist in pediatric urology. Dr. Fine is in-network for Anthem, Health Insurance Plan of New York (HIP), POMCO, and more. Dr. Fine graduated from Weill Cornell Medical College and then Dr. Fine performed Dr. Fine's residency at a hospital affiliated with Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Fine (or staff) is conversant in Hebrew and Spanish. Dr. Fine is affiliated with Westchester Medical Center, Yale New Haven Health System, and North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset. Dr. Fine welcomes new patients.
Dr. Israel Franco's medical specialty is pediatric urology. His hospital/clinic affiliations include Westchester Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital, and Maimonides Medical Center. He attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. Dr. Franco's residency was performed at Westchester Medical Center. Patient ratings for Dr. Franco average 4.0 stars out of 5. He honors Amerigroup, Child Health Plus, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and more.
Conditions / Treatments
Medicare Patient Age
Medicare Patient Conditions
Medicare Patient Ethnicity
Medicare Patient Gender
Medicare Patient Insurance Eligibility
Years Since Graduation
The specialty of urology focuses on the structures of the body that produce urine and remove it from the body, such as the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra. Since related structures in men are responsible for both reproduction and the transportation of urine, urologists specialize in men’s sexual health in addition to disorders of the urinary tract. Urologists treat both men and women, as well as patients ranging in age from newborn to elderly.
Certain urologic conditions are specific to male or female patients. Women are especially prone to stress incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, interstitial cystitis (a condition causing pain in the bladder), and urethral diverticuli (a structural issue where a small pouch develops from the urethra into the vagina). Some of these conditions may be adequately treated by a gynecologist, but patients may prefer to see a urologist because of their expertise in the urinary tract system. As for men, male infertility and sexual problems can be treated by a urologist. For example, urologists treat erectile dysfunction with medications or prosthetics. They may also perform surgeries such as vasectomies or vasectomy reversals.
Some other conditions that urologists treat include:
- Kidney stones, which are mineral deposits that can form anywhere in the urinary tract. The stones can be quite painful, and some large stones may be impossible to expel naturally. Fortunately, kidney stone treatments have advanced quite a bit in recent years, and a urologist may recommend a procedure such as shockwave lithotripsy (where sound waves are used to break down the stones), or percutaneous extraction (where telescopic tools are inserted through tiny incisions in the back to remove the stones). There can be some pain associated with these treatments, but they are far less invasive than the older methods of removal.
- Urinary tract infections, which are extremely common. However, if they happen over and over again, there may be an underlying problem within the urinary tract.
- Congenital abnormalities, which refers to problems that are present at birth. Congenital abnormalities affect the genitourinary tract more often than any other system of the body, and they range from mild to severe in appearance and effect. The most common abnormality (in male infants) is cryptorchidism, where a testicle does not descend from the body down into the scrotum. Another common problem is hypospadias, where the opening of the urethra appears on the underside of the penis.
- Renal disease, which is the loss of kidney function. For patients with renal disease, their urologist may be their primary surgeon or a coordinating member of their care team.
- Tumors and malignancies, which are especially common in the case of prostate cancer. Urologists are most often consultants to oncologists in these cases.
The American Urological Association recognizes seven subspecialties of urology:
- Pediatric Urology, the treatment of genitourinary tract disorders in children and infants
- Urologic Oncology, the treatment of cancers within the genitourinary tract
- Renal Transplantation, the treatment of severe kidney disease by replacing a non-functioning kidney with a donor kidney
- Male Infertility, the treatment of infertility due to problems with sperm, semen, or male sexuality
- Calculi, the treatment of kidney stones
- Female Urology, the care of women’s urinary health
- Neurourology, the treatment of urinary disorders caused by problems with the nervous system. For example, certain voiding disorders happen when the bladder does not receive signals appropriately, and erectile dysfunction is sometimes due to nerve loss.
Urinary and sexual problems can be especially distressing for many people. Fortunately, urologists are experts at managing these health conditions.